Saturday 9 February 2013

What's for supper tonight?

This is a weighted question. We face this problem every Saturday late afternoon. During the week, this question is not up for discussion. You see, the wife cooks during the week. She cooks, you eat, end of discussion. No democracy. On Saturday we have take aways. I am the one to do the taking.
 
 
So we vote. Never is there any form of consensus. Some kids only want pizza. Other kids hate pizza. Mom wants chicken. Is that McD, Kfc, or Nandos? Whatever choice, somebody will hate the choice. I end up doing the rounds to 3 or 4 places.
 
Problem is not with kids who can not get consensus. Problem is with my failure to take charge and leadership and just tell them that there is no choice. I will decide. Discussion over. Hate me for the rest of the week. You'll get over it.
 
Reality? I will try to be a cool dad and please everybody. I hate people hating me. I do not want a fight, but alway end up starting the fight because I want to please too many.
 
Very much the same problem in my professional life. I try to avoid conflict and please everybody. I feel bad saying no. I end up pleasing nobody and get taken advantage of.
 
OK. Off to start the fight and get food.
 
Untill next fight.
 

1 comment:

  1. We survived this ordeal tonight. Everybody managed to agree on a single source of food tonight. Yeah, some of them are subscribers to my feeds. Wonder if that had anything to do with the final outcome ;)

    ReplyDelete