Monday 4 March 2013

Find a topic for your blog (Wtf?)

Currently reading: Problogger by Darren Rowese and Chris Garrett

 

I am only starting out on this book. Great book so far, so please take my post here not as a criticism on the book as a whole, but rather a Wtf on society in general. Go buy the book. Go green and buy the e version, even though amazon rip us all off by charging more for the e version than the paper copy (another pet peeve of mine, but we'll save that for later).

 

Getting to chapter 2. This chapter is all about finding a topic for your blog. Our learned authors go through a fair bit of detail on how to decide to blog first and then how to decide what to blog about.

 

Am I the only one who sees the problem here? Why are you blogging if you do not know what you want to blog about in the first place? If you do not have a topic to blog about, you should not even be thinking about blogging. Geez.

 

The book starts off by telling you how to make money blogging. the good news is they say that blogging takes a lot of time to make money. No get rich quick like Justin Bieber schemes here. Then they go into a lot of detail about finding a topic that you are interested in. Really? Are there people out there actually blogging about topics they have no interest in?

 

Well, these guys are serious bloggers and are obvious authorities on the subject of blogging, and I'd guess life in general. When they say it is how things happen, I am inclined to believe them. So, yeah, there are actually a lot of people out there blogging about things they have absolutely zero interest in, just with the hope of becommng rich and famous. Blogging for the sake of blogging. Flying the flag for all of us. Soldiers in the ditches.

 

OK. Maybe it is just me, but this is exactly why there are so many pointless blogs about absolutely nothing important (yeah, like this one) on the internet blogging about things they, or anybody else, have zero interest in.

 

Truth to be said. I started this blog as an alternative to my real important blog about something useful on advice from these guys. This way I can post any useless stuff here and not cloud my really useful blog. So, I started blogging about something I was really interested in, then read a book, and then decided I need a blog about absolutely nothing.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment